Argyll Mausoleum sits next to Kilmun (St Munn's) Church on the north shore of the Holy Loch, about six miles from Dunoon. The site has been a place of worship since the 8th century.
In the 15th century, a tradition began of the burial of the Dukes of Argyll in Kilmun Church. The earliest recorded burial was Sir Duncan Campbell in 1544 and his wife Majorie, great great granddaughter of Robert the Bruce.Burials were originally beneath the aisles in the Church.
In 1794, the Mausoleum was constructed and from then burials took place in the Mausoleum adjacent to the church. The Mausoleum, designed and built by James Lowrie, is one of the most significant historical sites in Scotland. Grade A listed, it predates the adjoining St Muns Parish Church (Also grade A listed) which was built in 1841. On the same site, the tower of the Collegiate church of St Mun (15th Century),is designated as a Scheduled Ancient Monument. The Mausoleum construction is masonry with a decorative front elevation